Home Gallery
Upcoming Events

June 5, 2017
Clean-up nite 7:00 PM

June 5, 2017
Board Meeting - 19:30


June 13, 2017
Auxiliary Meeting

June 19, 2017
Laurel Pizzeria Night

Donations
Help us to continue making a difference in our comunity. Please make a donation to the Laure Fire Department today.



Join Us
Do you have what it takes to join our ranks? Are you interested in helping out our worthwhile organization? Take the first step today and fill out an application.

Contact Info
Emergencies
Dial 9-1-1
Laurel Fire Department
205 W. 10th Street
Laurel, DE 19956

302.875.3081



Department History


1952

On August 19, 1957 another tradition began as the winners of the Laurel Exchange Club’s Miss Laurel and Little Miss Laurel Contest were asked to share their roles as our Fire Prevention Queens. This tradition continues today. The girls are present at most parades. They support the Delmarva Volunteer Firemen’s Association and attend Fire Prevention activities sponsored by the Fire Department.

On July 20, 1959 another American LaFrance Custom Engine was ordered. This one was unique in that it was white in color and was an enclosed cab, different from the rest of the fleet.

Another major Laurel business would be destroyed by fire on February 4, 1963 as Laurel Building Supply was destroyed by fire.

By 1964, the 1940 ALF and the 1942 Hahn had served Laurel for over twenty years. A motion was made to sell both and purchase a third American LaFrance Custom Eng. Eng. #3, 1964 ALF was delivered in April of 1964 and would be Laurel’s first run engine for fifteen years.



1963


Marvil Package Company was again the scene of a serious fire on January 25, 1965. Firefighters from Blades, Delmar, Seaford and Sharptown assisted at the scene as a cloud of smoke covered the town.

Another first took place on January 10, 1966 as a used oil truck was purchased to be Laurel’s first tractor-trailer tanker. At the time this was only the second tractor trailer tanker in the county. Lewes Fire Department had put one in service in 1958.

Troubled times of the sixties even touched the Fire Department as officers attended classes on Civil Unrest.

In 1968 much attention was being placed on fund raising and on March 7, 1968 “BINGO” games began. Under the leadership of President Norman Hastings “BINGO” was quite successful. For over twenty-five years every Thursday meant “BINGO” at the Laurel Firehouse.

Another important development took place on May 13, 1968 with the installation of Fire Bells. These were placed in the homes of members who desired to have one and in the event of a fire they would ring. This was the predecessor of the paging systems we have today.

On January 13, 1969 a committee was appointed that would eventually purchase the LFD’s first rescue truck

In 1971 a second Cadillac Ambulance was placed in service and a motorized rescue boat was purchased.


Displaying 3-3 of 5 Pages
< 1 ¦ 2 ¦ 3 ¦ 4 ¦ 5 >

 
Complete Information on our Knox Box Program
 
75o Light Rain
Winds: 21 North East
 
Dec '16 31 June '16 47
Nov '16 38 May '16 40
Oct '16 37
Sept '16 58
Aug '16 34
July '16 48
Last 12 Months: 333
2016 - 498
2015 - 420
2014 - 432
 
Dec '16 162 June '16 199
Nov '16 165 May '16 167
Oct '16 175
Sept '16 210
Aug '16 200
July '16 222
Last 12 Months: 1500
2016 - 2187
2015 - 1931
2014 - 1967
 
Listen to Live Fireground
operations from the
Sussex County Emergency
Operations Center
 
CWD Backstage
Check Email